Saturday, March 22, 2014

Never Buy Pancake Mix Again!

I found a great recipe from Nigella Lawson one day when I ran out of the good ole' Aunt Jemima.  And it was completely worth it.  Not only did it create fluffy and delicious pancakes, I knew what went into them and could modify as I like, specifically using a whole wheat flour. And I haven't calculated it yet, but I am sure I am saving money instead of dishing out $4.29 a box.  I used a stand mixer to blend the dry ingredients to ensure good distribution, but you don't have to.

In a large bowl combine:
4 cups flour ( I used King Arthur's White Whole Wheat)
3 tbsp Baking Powder
2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp sugar
Store in air tight container.  I happened to have a click-top lidded Sterilite.  Then, for easy reference, I taped on the instructions for how to make the pancakes so I don't have to look it up every time.

When ready to use:
Combine
1 cup dry mix
1 cup milk
1 egg
1 tbsp melted butter
1/4 cup mini choc chips, dried fruit, or fresh fruit (optional)
Just with any pancakes, on a hot griddle or in my case Buzz Lightyear Pancake Maker (which apparently cannot be found anymore), scoop, pour, let mixture bubble, flip, and enjoy.  Each batch makes about 25 small pancakes, using a tablespoon as the scoop.

No comments:

Post a Comment